Homesteading In The Pacific Northwest

Friday, June 10, 2011

This Week On The Farm ...

The weather continues to be cold and cloudy.  On "The Farm" side of the property the peas, carrots, potatoes, lettuce and cabbages are all happy; everything else is pouting.  The potted peppers, tomatoes and tomatillos are all now housed in the little greenhouse or the newly expanded "Pepper Palace" ...


I moved it to the side of the greenhouse so I can tap in to the drip watering system and the electric box there.


Yes, that is a heater in the right hand corner.
It is still getting down into the 40's at night!

I harvested my broccoli this week, what little of it there was.  I have to agree with Annie's Granny on the subject of broccoli; I don't think it's worth it.  Ditto cauliflower ... 


As I mentioned in a previous post, this is the first time I've tried to grow brassicas.  Am I missing something here?  Looks like I've got all "cauli" and no "flower".  Shouldn't it be showing some sign of  a head by now?

I think the cabbages are doing what they are supposed to ...


...at least I hope so; that is a head forming in the center, isn't it?

On the bright side, the Dakota shelling peas are just about ready to harvest; maybe another week or so ...


...and the two pumpkin plants also seem to be doing well.  This bed is under some large trees which I think shelter it a bit from cold and wet.  I added the trellis in the back of the bed this week and planted runner beans (Sunset and Painted Lady) at it's base ... I'll add some bush beans after I pull the peas out.

Also on "The Farm" side of the house ...


There is no sign of any hatching going on in the junco nest.  The nest is in the basket right next to the back door which is the most commonly used door into the house ...


Mama junco jumps off the nest every time anyone goes in or out or if the dogs are in the yard, so I can't imagine that the eggs are staying very warm.  I'm hoping that they will still hatch ....

Well, that's it for "The Farm" report ...I'll save "The Garden" for later ....

Enjoy!


4 comments:

  1. I'm going to tell Mr. Sorry at dinner tonight that I want electrical installed in my raised beds so I can heat my tomatoes.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Kelly, I have a soil heating cable in one of my beds; it really makes a difference. Make sure you get the "heavy duty" ones (they aren't much more expensive that the light weight one, but way easier to set up. I got mine from Charley'e Greenhouse.) I'm going to get 2 or 3 more and install them as I replant for fall.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Deb: Don't give up on the broccoli and cauliflower...it takes awhile. I get huge leaves and it looks like nothing is going to happen then one day there's a tiny bud and within a week you've got broccoli and or cauliflower. As long as your weather stays cool, you're ok.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I have been gardeningfor 20+ years and recently converted to raised bed gardens from row style which I had done in the past. This year growing broccoli is another story. In the past broccoli was planted 18 inches apart in rows, this year I planted out starts from my greenhouse in late march under agribon. The growth was impressive however the raised bed I believe is too stressed even though the plant spacing is 3 across in a 4 foot wide bed. The couple I did harvest were rather small compared to what I have picked in the past. As for cauliflower, Spring planting can be a hit or miss, last years late july planting yielded at least 16 heads under remay in late october. Though the growth was slow in October, the heads were incredibly huge

    ReplyDelete