Homesteading In The Pacific Northwest

Tuesday, January 18, 2011

I'm Incorrigible....

I admit it.  I just can't wait for spring...So I'm rushing things a bit and hoping that new "year round gardening" techniques will continue to work in cold, soggy Washington.  The experimental winter vegetable bed did well, so I am starting my first "spring" bed today...January 18.

 
Just a few pea plants and lettuces (and the herbs that were already in the bed).


I'm going to compare the growth rates of the plants put out into their covered beds to those left in the greenhouse longer and then transplanted out. 


And here's the bed with its' raincoat on....Mike will help me do a more permanent
job on the covering this weekend....

Enjoy!

Deb


2 comments:

  1. Hey Deb, thanks for stopping by. Love the bed. Great idea.

    As for the lake and chickens and e coli... with all due respect, I think your husband just doesn't want chickens, which is fine. However, e coli in a home flock is almost unheard of. That said, you should always wash hands after playing with the animals.

    Frankly, I'd be more worried about the geese and other water fowl in your lake than chickens... you have your kids shower after playing in the lake right? Well, just keep the chickens out of the lake (like they swim anyway). Lastly, if you properly prepare your eggs and chicken (if using for meat), e coli is killed.

    I strongly believe that is a non-issue. But for the longest time my wife just said she didn't want chickens so we didn't get any. Just an FYI. Thanks for reading. I hope to keep this up.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hah! I didn't think of that! There are waterfowl all over the lake...and we've only had one time where there was an E. coli problem and that was years ago...I think you are right...he just doesn't want chickens.... :)

    ReplyDelete