Homesteading In The Pacific Northwest

Monday, April 19, 2010

Gardens and Greenhouses...

I started planting what I'm going to call a "Bucket Garden" today...tomatoes, potatoes, and everything else I can fit...all planted in easily moved buckets.  I have my raised bed gardens, but not everyone has the space for them. I wanted to experiment with something that almost everyone, disabled or not,  could do...with very little space or expense. My goal is for all the plants to be organic, heirloom and or non-Monsanto.

My day started as Mike drove me to the Olympia Food CO-OP...


I knew they carried seed from local sources (Uprising Seeds and Irish Eyes Seeds) that had a commitment to preserving diversity in agriculture...


I started out with 4 buckets...Mike drilled holes in the bottoms of them for drainage and filled them with garden soil...


"All Blue" potatoes, Swiss Chard "Fordhook Giant", Lettuce "Merlot", Beet "Bull's Blood"....

 We bought a "pop up"  greenhouse to house the more tender plants for the bucket garden...Mike will move them to join the rest lakeside after the danger of frost has passed...anyone can do the same without the expense of the greenhouse...all you need is a warm bathroom...set the buckets in the tub and hang a full spectrum light over them...




I'll be posting more as we add more buckets and work on making the garden pretty with flowers and some wood dividers....

Enjoy!

Deb

No comments:

Post a Comment